Friday, October 10, 2014

Construction of the SMG

I got a question about the constuction of the SMG.

I want to say, that it was not supposed to be a replica, but a prop for a halloween costume.
Still, I poured quite a lot of effort to it :)

Here is my building plans for the gun.






It was made by layering MDF board.
The bulk of the gun was 2 layers of 16mm.
The other one had space for an ejection port and the other one had the "accessory-ridges" on it (sorry, really don't know the terms).
I then layered two 3mm boards of the same material. I cut all of these with a band saw and a table saw.
The last layer (upper part of the nose area) was made of pieces of scrap polystyrene.
I got these pieces from a bin next to a CNC-machine.

The plan wasn't executed in 100% accuracy. The biggest change was probably that I dig the hole for the magazines in between the bulk pieces. I also had a space for the trigger between the bulk pieces. I had equal deep parts taken off from each side. There was also a small spring (from a pen) behind the trigger, so you could actually squeeze it.

The pipes (I think it's a foldable butt) I made from wood.
The finishing touches were mostly scrap. The switch for single/auto is a painting hook and so on.
The barrel is a metallic pipe that I drilled a hole for.

I put a small spring behind the hole for the magazines to hold the magazines in place.
I really wanted to have changeable magazines

The magazines had similar construction 16mm bulk with 3mm sides. The casing was made from brass pipe, the bullets from a steel rod.

Here is a more detailed picture, which shows the not so presentable side of the gun.

Hope you like this small article.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment